I’m pulling together a number of bits and bobs for you, and remember, I’m very happy to see you during study leave if you want to look in. 🙂 If you were timetabled for Media, I should be available… and we have a kettle.
I’ll post some follow up notes tomorrow, but you should take the time to watch this BBC Panorama documentary on the Murdoch/News of the World/phone hacking/’establishment’ links as preparation. As you watch it, you might like to consider the following points:
- What were Murdoch/News of the World‘s PURPOSE(s) in running the stories they did?
- When did they ‘step over the line’?
- How would the illegal hacking affect peoples’ ATTITUDES and BEHAVIOURS?
- Given how close Brooks and Coulson were to the likes of David Cameron and George Osborne, do you think it was possible for the newspapers they controlled/edited to hold the government of the day to account? (The newspapers act as “The Fourth Estate“)
- Which audience NEEDS were the newspapers fulfilling?
- Did the Press Complaints Commission (Archive of PCC site HERE) fail in its duty to regulate the News of the World?
Remember, as well, that some of the historic events outlined in the documentary and the subsequent Leveson Inquiry into the “culture, practices and ethics of the British press” are still ‘live’ and ongoing.
There is much else to consider, but that’s enough to be going on with! More to follow tomorrow. 🙂